Stockholm Furniture & Light Fair
(Greek πρόλογος prólogos, from pro, “before” and lógos, “word”) is an opening to a story that establishes the context and gives background details, often some earlier story that ties into the main one, and other miscellaneous information.
1. a preliminary discourse; a preface or introductory part of a discourse, poem, or novel.
2. an introductory speech, often in verse, calling attention to the theme of a play.
3. the actor or actress who delivers this.
4. an introductory scene, preceding the first act of a play, opera, etc.
5. any introductory proceeding, event, etc.
For the Stockholm Furniture & Light Fair 2018, Nick Ross was commissioned to curate and design an exhibition that highlights some of best designers to exhibit in the Greenhouse area for young designers. For this he has created Prologue.
Prologue references the amphitheatres of classical Greece, where the building has been broken down into sections and reprogrammed to fit its new needs. The main focus point is the ‘stage’, where an exhibition showcasing previous Greenhouse exhibitors is located, explaining the context of what it means to show at Greenhouse, and how that relates to the rest of the fair and the wider design industry in general.
The exhibition highlights a group of ‘protagonists’, all of whom have previously shown at Greenhouse, and have gone on to become successful within the industry. These are framed as if they were characters in a classical Greek play. Acting out the prologue to the Stockholm Furniture & Light fair.